Monday, September 10, 2012

30 something

I didn't wash my hair today. 

(Or yesterday.)

So today it was pretty gnarly.  I wet it down and messed it around.  For about three seconds I toyed with going out among the English with it completely amok.  But it was more Crazy Old Lady than Breezy-Tousled Carefree.  If you know what I mean. 

I half liked it.

Then I remembered her.  The Lipstick Lady .  When I was growing up, there was a thirty-something-year-old mentally ill woman who lived out of her station wagon.  She wore her lipstick all over her mouth.  The kind of woman who would yell things at you if you glanced in her direction?

I smoothed my hair down just a little. 

Sometimes after a long day of mothering I feel a little too close to crazy.  And there is no need to tempt my inner Lipstick. 



 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the smile. I hope tomorrow is lipstick-free. 1437

sjb-roso said...

HA! this made me laugh so hard I almost peed myself. First of all I totally remember the crazy lady and second I am sure you looked great in your messy perm ;-)

Sara Paddags said...

Ah--the Lipstick Lady!! I remember her too--especially outside Red Owl. Now that I am mother of three I am starting to see how one could enter a bit of a crazy hair/lipstick lady state. If my mother-in-law where not here to help right now I might be entering into it today--and Elizabeth is not even quite a week old! Hope you are having a nice, "centered" (as Rene & I like to say :) )day.

Brambleberry said...

Oh, Sara-hs. I wish you girls were my neighbors. Think of the fun we could have!