Wednesday, January 30, 2008

impossibly {?} early

We have had the incredible fortune, for the last 3.5 years, to have a dear sweet elderly couple living directly across the street. They notice when we go somewhere for the day, when a new car is in our drive, when the kids climb too high in the maple tree out front. They plant WAY TOO MANY cucumbers each summer, and gladly share them by the bucket full. Conversations are always lively and full of memories of yesteryear.

UNfortunatly, they have decided it is time to make a move to warmer climates. Nearer their children, grand and great. Alas.

They thought I might like to have some of their old terra cotta planting pots. {Oh yeah!} And my husband an old, but completely useful and thrilling, piece of...tool....what would be the right word?...man stuff, whatever. He's over the moon. Me, too.

I mean, it's horrible to lose them as neighbors, but I can't help but feel like they will always hold a special place in our hearts, and that these wonderful things will keep those memories fresh.

Plus, I started my garden in them. Impossibly early? Yeah. I'm sure it is. I don't care. I have new pots.

2 comments:

Betty said...

Those are the best kind of neighbours...hope you get good neighbours again!
Gardening early? I don't think so..you will have the fun of waiting to see sprouting plants.

Anonymous said...

Oh oh, I think you will have to share pics of your new (old) pots and your little garden! : )