Sunday, August 23, 2009

on Jesus and being chubby...

Well.

Hello.

So.

To preface...or not to preface.....that is the question.

This feels entirely too personal, and yet, I have been praying that this--the 'this' being the blog--would be what it is supposed to be. I have no idea what it is supposed to be. Mostly mental regurgitation on my keyboard that becomes public knowledge once I hit "publish." But that someone somewhere somehow would read these humble words and be changed, even a little...mostly that these words would tell you "THIS LADY LOVES JESUS!" Even when I'm writing something like: "I'm going a little more crazy every day." You know....that you could see Jesus between the lines.

I really have no purpose writing one of these here blogs. I started for my parents. And for me. And now, a whole three extra people read it every day. Hello, three readers!

But now that it's out there, and that I've been trying to be obedient in my living, I've been trying to give everything over in obedience. That said, these words I'm puking through my fingers are included in that obedience.

I realize that this likely makes no sense. But! That has not stopped me before, and it won't stop me today!

Any way.....

Last night, I was looking through pictures.

(Oh, those lots of words before that last sentence was the pre-preface. Next follows the REAL preface.)

So, last night, I was looking through pictures. Of me.

Why?

Well. Here's the thing...my entire twentieth decade was spent chubby. The fluctuation swung from "normal" to "just-had-a-baby" to "just-had-a-baby-three-years-ago-but-have-been-eating-like-there's-gonna-be-a-food-shortage-tomorrow-morning."

I wasn't really thrilled about it all, but my husband really didn't care and I love food, so why fix what isn't broken? Right? Except, if you've ever been chubby, you know that it isn't really any fun. Especially when you think things like "if I wear a turtle neck, my double chin can hide inside it."

Well, when my thirtieth birthday was looming around the corner, I thought to myself, "Self?! What is wrong with you?! You are not happy. What is your deal?"

So, I decided it was T.I.M.E. to get my act together. And then I got pregnant.

Which is normally a time of Arby's mozzarella cheese sticks and all things nacho for me. I knew that I needed a new approach. So I prayed. A lot. And Jesus gave me avocados.

And so that pregnancy went by with a good deal of weight gain, but nowhere NEAR the weight gain of the previous two. And once the baby was born, and the miracle weight loss that occurs right afterwards came and took away the pregnancy weight, I thought, NOW IS THE TIME FOR ALL GOOD MEN TO COME TO THE AID OF THEIR COUNTRY.

And I prayed some more.

Jesus! I need you. I need you to come and shut my open mouth. I prayed and prayed and prayed.

And He came. And when I would be digging in the cupboard for a little snacky snack, He would whisper, "You sure you want that, my love?" And I would say, "Yes, Jesus. I want fifty thousand Doritos." And Jesus would say, "Just checking. You wanted help. And I am giving it to you. Gently. Don't make me break your jaw."

(Just kidding on the breaking jaw.)

So that's how it went. It was all Jesus. Not me.

See the really sad thing is that the only way I knew how to lose weight was in my own strength. Which is really crappy. And unhealthy. It takes the form of an ugly eating disorder that I became acquainted with after high school. And then again after my first was born, and I started working. I know and knew that it not only wasn't healthy, but that it can't and couldn't work. So I resigned to give it up. And did. And had total control over it. And refused (R.E.F.U.S.E.D.) to go there ever again. So in some strange way, my chubbiness was a personal badge of honor over an eating disorder....but who wants to wear a chubby badge?

NO BODY!

This wasn't supposed to be depressing.

I hope it's not depressing.

Where was I?

Jesus.

Jesus stepped in, and gave me more avocados. He gave me will power. He whispered sweet nothings to me when I poked around my kitchen looking for food when I wasn't hungry.

And now...I'm not skinny. I'm not even thin. But I'm not chubby. I've lost 75 pounds from the day I delivered my sweet baby to yesterday.

The problem is that I'm having a hard time seeing it.

So last night, I was looking at pictures.

I have THE MOST AWFUL picture of myself. Taken right after my third was born. I look as though I have a shell fish allergy and have just finished dining at Red Lobster. Swollen. Puffy.

Big.

Mama.

I took out my camera, and set it up on the counter. I set the timer and sat in a chair just in front of it, and took a picture of myself. I had the same maternity shirt on as I did in that Red Lobster picture.

I put the two pictures on my screen side by side.

And I could see it.

I'm tempted to put the pictures up so you can see just what Jesus can do.

But someone I went to high school with might see it. And then I would have to die.

Not really.

But sort of.

I'll pray about it.

Because, if Jesus wants me to....obedience you know.


----------------------------------

Did I write this for you? Why did I write this? I'm feeling all naked and alone.....but praying that if I was supposed to write this, that you were supposed to read it, and that you might see Jesus between the lines.

He can save you from something even greater than chubbiness.

If you need to know more about that, this is a good place to start. Or you can email me....I am not the most articulate person to discuss these things with, but He said He'd give the words....so please feel free to ask.

13 comments:

Emily in NC said...

I don't know if anyone else read it, or if I even care....But, I wanted to say thank you. For being real. Thanks for reminding me that Jesus really is still in the small things too. I needed it tonight. Thank you.

Emily in NC (again...) said...

btw, i am in love with bird no.4 and hootie! they are a.dor.able!

neeter said...

(I read!) And I need to pray that prayer.

(but it's hard. and Doritos are good)

I'm so happy for you though!

Heidi Lommen Kist said...

Katie - you are such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and puking your words on the computer. You do a great job of putting things into words that make sense to people like me! I love Jesus and sometimes I wonder about my relationship with him, you always can put into perspective for me. THANK YOU. You are a very special young woman and I love you. You're Pear picture is hangning in my home and I absolutely LOVE IT!! Heidi

Nonna said...

If I am as proud as I am, just think how Jesus feels??! You are amazing. Thanks for being open and real. 1437

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I am in the middle of a chubby middle. My baby is 2 mo, my toddler just turned 2. Please do not try to guess how much more I weigh than my wedding less than 3 years ago.
My Faith has recently taken a huge hit. I am just being honest.
So praying about my Doritos is a big jump. But if I know I am not the only one... maybe, just maybe...

Jessica - who randomly found you through PleasantViewSchoolhouse and blogs at virginiadawn on xanga

Anonymous said...

This was written for me. Thank you. Please help those of us out here in bloggy land who are struggling with weight, and faith. How did you do it?

Anonymous said...

WAAAAWAAA!! My baby is going to be23 and I still haven't lost not only her baby fat but.. my baby fat!! I always kid- I got the lips, the tits,the hips and the thighs in the family!!! And I got all the "fat genes" in the family- but no longer am I going to wait for a terminal illness(another excuse- just like doritos and their cousin cheetos) I too am going to believe in the One that made me!! Thanks for your inspiration!! I pray to Him and think of you and watch me become a "skinny cookie"!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's amazing, Katie. 75 pounds is A LOT. I want to see those pictures! I bet you look fantastic and the maternity shirt is swallowing you!

Anonymous said...

Maybe if we started looking for Jesus in small things and instead of something really big, I found my faith transformed greatly when I just started having conversations like you mentioned. So much easier!

The ironic part of it all is that 1. I read this while snarfing down Fritos that I don't even really like but they are the only salty thing in the house and 2. recent pictures of my head seem to bare a strong resemblance to Cabbage Patch dolls.

Thank you for sharing this struggle and making me almost spit out my tea upon reading the "yes Jesus, I want 50,000 doritos" bit.

Congratulations, and somehow, someway may I find Jesus at my refrigerator door.

sjb-roso said...

Oh look, you have way more then 3 readers :-) Who doesn't struggle with this. After having #2 and feeling the bulge I am dealing with these same issues. Thanks for this post and when I saw you a couple of months ago, you looked BEAUTIFUL!! I so wish you were closer so we could visit more often! Miss Ya and praying for you! Love you!

sjb-roso said...

I also should have read this last night before I made myself a wrap with chips and a granola bar (I thought if I ate the granola bar it would make my meal "healthy") at 10:00 pm. My excuse...I am nursing!

redeemed diva said...

I love this blog. I have missed reading it. thank you thank you thank you for writing. Thank you for being obedient. Please don't stop.