Sunday, December 2, 2007

crackle crackle

I was busy switching the clothes from the washer to the dryer when I heard it. A quiet, little, crackly kind of sound. I froze. No sound. I tried to reassure myself it was nothing. Certainly not a mouse. Went back to the task at hand, pivoting from one appliance to the other. There it was again. Crackle crackle. Oh no. This time there was no denying the noise. I stopped. It did, too.

I am mentally running through the possibilities. A mouse, a bat, a rat--dear me, we'll have to burn the house down. (I lean towards the dramatic. Sometimes.)

That's when it hits me.

The sound. It isn't coming from a rodent. It's coming from me. My ankles. Every time I moved, my ankles crinkled and crackled. Well isn't this wonderful? Hello, thirty. I didn't think you were coming until May.

4 comments:

Betty said...

That is too funny...I was sure it would be a mouse!!

Anonymous said...

Too funny....are you wishing it had been a mouse?!!

Tam I Am said...

aaaahhhh hahahahahahah! Good one.

Anonymous said...

30? I remember that age. 20 years ago this coming April. I'd like to encourage you by saying, "Enjoy the crackling now...it gets worse."

:o) Blessings...