Saturday, February 13, 2010

on a Saturday

There was a spot of sunshine on my living room floor. I stretched out onto it.

"What are you doing, mommy?"

"Stretching. It's like exercise."

That proved to be a good enough answer. Life continued all around me. My daughter, busy setting up books in her library. Wearing heels.

A battle waged five feet from my head between a penguin and Captain America.

My baby found a wooden spoon and metal bowl - that not fifteen minutes prior were props in a one woman play.

Laying in the warm sun I was keenly aware of my surroundings. I heard the click clack of shoes dangerously close to my fingers. My head only a few inches from a bowl being rung with the smacks of a wooden spoon.

A shadow covered me. I braced. False alarm. A snuggle. From my babe. With a bit of runny nose smeared on my cheek for good measure.

The library opened a north branch.

Angry howls from the war front. The Mach 5 is no where to be found.

I think I'd like Chinese take-out tonight.

4 comments:

Visty said...

That very unique anxiety of lying on the floor while simultaneously possessing young children is enough exercise for me!

redeemed diva said...

I love kids and being smack dab in the middle of them!

Nonna said...

Beautiful. How I miss those days. Time passes so quickly, I am glad that your heart has been allowed to savor and enjoy!

LocustSt said...

Everyone else read into that "I love my kids"... I read it as "one moment of me time in the middle of chaos" or maybe "one moment of freedom when everyone was self-sustained and no one was demanding anything from me"! :)