Friday, May 27, 2011

oh the humanity!

My son had a dentist appointment on Monday.  A funny thing happened.  And by funny, I mean crappy. 

A friend watched my other kids for me, so it was just me and my boy.  He isn't ready to "go back" alone to the chair, so I assumed my position in the corner of the exam room.  I love this dental office.  The hygienists are all wonderful, as are the assistants...and I normally really like our dentist.  HOWEVER!  Monday, when the dentist came in to drill out my boy's cavities, after greeting him he asked how I was feeling. 

I told him I was feeling just fine.  And thought, hmmm?  That's a goofy question to ask.  Usually people ask, "How are you?" but not, "How are you feeling?" right?  Not that it's a big deal to ask how someone is feeling...it just seemed out of  context.  But whatever.  I was feeling fine, and it was kind of him to ask. 

Then he asked if I wanted a chair.  Another kind inquiry.  I was totally fine to be standing.  Another chair sort of hogs up a lot of room in that little space, and I really didn't mind, so I said I would be just fine standing. 

"We like to take care of mamas," he explained.
And his assistant died a little death in her chair.  She was reading his mind. 

When everything was finished and the dentist prepared to take his leave he looked at me and said, "Enjoy the second half of baby!"  Which was when his assistant presented my son with the prize box with way too much enthusiasm and grandeur in a pay-no-attention-to-the-man-behind-the-curtain sort of way.

The next day I got an email survey from the dental office and was tempted to write "don't assume anyone wearing a tunic and not sucking in their stomach is pregnant" as a suggestion on how they could serve me better.

Then I ate a piece of cake.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This could be my favorite post ever. I have tears in my eyes from trying not to laugh aloud in a room full of silent reading children.

I am sure there are words of wisdom to be spoken here. I am sorry that I do not have any of them available to me.

All I can say is that this post made my day. And I think taht you look great :)

Cabeen's said...

Oh My Katie--thanks for sharing, this was way to funny, thanks for the perspective and yep we have all been there!

Laura said...

OK- so I haven't seen you since Easter break, but at that point I was thinking you look great- and too bad I didnt' look like you since my baby is almost six. So may I not go to your dentist and get the same question. On a different note, thanks for the chuckle!!

Kate said...

Literally laughing... while cringing... ooooh my. I love the "man behind the curtain" line!