Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Projects.

I've got these wonderful old black walnut hutches that used to belong to my great grandmother, given to me by one of the world's coolest aunts. They used to be a huge wall unit in her home, and are slowing becoming elements of my home. The unit itself is, sadly, WAY to big to fit anywhere in my house while in their current state.
So, my extremely talented husband has been morphing them into the things I imagine up, scribble designs for, etc. etc. etc.

Last fall, he ripped down a few of the shelves into frames for my kitchen doors. One day they'll have some glass, or screen, or tin, or wood...something as a recessed panel to finish them off. Right now, I imagine they have glass. Clean. Unprinted. Invisible. Glass. (Imaginary glass is SO user friendly!)

My current plans for the unit are three fold. First off, they'll become an inset book shelf/computer desk to replace these shelves that my very pregnant (read: even more bull headed than usual) self hastily screwed into the wall the week after we move in 3 years ago. They're not level - which is why I took the picture at an angle. They're supported by scrap 2 x 4s. Frankly, they're ugly. They hold books, and that's about all they have going for them.

This is what I want them to become. Drawers to hold toys, LEVEL shelves for books, and a nice place to house the computer. Afore mentioned wonderful husband is out in the garage dismantling one large unit to begin the process. Will post pictures when the unit is closer to finished.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Granny herself would approve and love this! It will be wonderful.