Tuesday, August 18, 2009

spilling

I heard the best analogy in a sermon a while ago.

About cups.

And spilling.

Imagining that we are the cups. What happens when we get bumped?

When a cup gets bumped, its contents spill out.

When we get bumped, our contents spill out.

...................................

I was thinking on that concept. What spills out of me when I'm bumped? Love? Kindness? Grace? Mercy?

When my children rub on that last nerve....what is spilling out all over them? Is it a gentle balm? Or hot scalding annoyance?

....................................

Have you ever been scalded?

I don't want to do that to the souls of my children.

.....................................

I'm praying that from here on out, I spill only balm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a veritable banquet in the food for thought category.

Visty said...

Garrett told me today (light heartedly) that he appreciates it when I am in a good mood, because when I am having a not so good day, I am sort of like a King of the house: no one can argue with me. What he meant was that I am unbending, not very sympathetic, and definitely out of patience. But at least I learned that most days, I am easy to live with. Benevolent dictator.