Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Green...it's the new brown.

A few years ago, I went to a design seminar, and sat in on a Color Forecasting breakout session. It was both interesting and hilarious. Interesting, in that a group of people get together and look at the trends in fashion, automobiles, interiors, exteriors, the Internet, society...and come up with THE color palette that will be HOT in the next 2-3 years. And hilarious, in that a group of people get together and look at the trends in fashion, automobiles, interiors, exteriors, society...and come up with THE color palette that will be HOT in the next 2-3 years.

Isn't that great?! People. Get together. And decide. On colors. How do I become one of those people?! :) How awesome would that be?! Very awesome. And hilarious.

It all seemed so fantastic in the moment. It still seems fantastic, but I've got a new perspective now. The perspective that wonders if it's all entirely necessary. Does it *really* matter? I understand that it matters in business to be on the cutting edge. But, are you on the cutting edge, if everyone is next to you on the edge?

At the time, they told us that brown is the new green. That all colors were still in, but with a brown tone. Orange would be burnt sienna. Green would be olive. Blue would be denim. Purple, plum; yellow, mustard; red, rust; etc etc etc.

And, surprise! They were right! (of course they share their forecasting information with everyone) Can you think of the "new" vehicle colors that are hot right now? Home decor, fashion...everyone followed the forecast.

I myself, am a lover of brown. My home is slathered in the chocolaty hue. But! There is a new color on my horizon. I am forecasting a shift. Back. to. green. Green, it's the new brown. (At my house.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

having never been much of a follower, and having a great eye for the little details that really can set off what you are working on, I really like how it looks. now if you can just "invent" your own color, by tweaking it, like the green house, I can only imagine what amazing things would happen. truly over the top, and then would the food ever taste good!!!

Anonymous said...

"Green..it's the new brown"..I'm loving it! Now I just need to get painting...