Friday, August 31, 2007

A signature dish

Tonight is our Church's picnic. I'm excited. I like these kinds of things. Get~togethers. Food. (Everything is better with food, you know.)

It's a potluck, so I'm trying to come up with something *wonderful* to bring. I remember going to church events when I was young, and there were women that had signature dishes. Eleanor's bars were fantastic. I always loved helping in the kitchen....arranging the cookies and bars on plates for everyone. One Eleanor bar on the plate, two Eleanor bars in my mouth. I'm pretty sure I washed my hands. Pretty sure.

So, I'm trying to figure out what my signature dish should be. Cheesy potatoes? Garlicky potatoes? Oniony potatoes? (I have 10 pounds of potatoes.) Maybe I'll just use a ton of butter and salt. Who doesn't like butter? And salt. Good stuff. Or, rather, bad stuff. The stuff that's bad for you always makes everything taste SO good. And since these people will only be subjected to my signature dish every now and again, I might as well make it special. Right? Of course.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

wish I could be there for the signature dish....sounds yummy...whichever direction you chose!

Mrs. MK said...

I do love get-togethers with everyone cooking their own particular dishes! My current fave (dessert) to take is a wonderful (bad!!) chocolate sheet cake---it feeds a crowd, is easily made from scratch, and is delectably rich!

Let us know how you fix your potatoes!! :-)

Brambleberry said...

Right now, potatoes and carrots are being roasted in the oven (decided to go with canola oil--just being kind) :)...seasoned with "Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt."

I think I may invent a cheese sauce (roux based) to go over the top of them once their done cooking.

I'll let you know if they're edible.

Here's hoping!

Brambleberry said...

ahem, once *they're* done cooking.

neeter said...

now I want some cheesy, salty buttery potatoes *drool*

Tam I Am said...

...please pass the *signature* dish... Whatever it is...

Smellyann said...

Yum, me too!

Anonymous said...

Everything sounds delicious.