Monday, November 26, 2007

I'm SOMEBODY!

I was in the coffee aisle of my favorite grocery store yesterday. I was trying to decide which flavor of coffee bean to chose (Highlander Grogg), when I noticed him. He was (sort of) patiently waiting for me to move. I was blocking one of the two grinders, and he wanted the one I was in front of. He apologetically mentioned that he didn't like how the unobstructed coffee grinder ground his coffee. He is picky. He is from Seattle.

There was a lot he wasn't saying...and I wasn't in a mood to engage, so I just scootched over, nodded an acknowledgement, got my beans and went on my merry way.

I couldn't help but feel sorry. Sorry that I didn't allow him to be SOMEBODY. You know. More than just anybody. He was from Seattle. Coffee Headquarters. He just wanted to be special. Not just an older, ordinary, lonely nobody. (Not in the creepy-I'm going to follow you home- kind of way.)

I've certainly been there. In the I'M SOMEBODY Doldrums. When life is little, and you want people to know that you're big. That you have a bachelor's degree. You wiped 2 butts, 10x a day, but you don't have applesauce mulling about in your brain. You're somebody. You're not "just a mom" (I know, that is my LEAST favorite phrase of all times) you're a designer, just on hiatus. (ahem, my email was born during that time period) *snicker*

You are more than meets the eye. You are interesting, and fun, and you know a lot of good junk. Only, it doesn't appear that way. It appears as if you don't own a mirror, and that the only clothes that fit you are stretchy. The former may be untrue, but the latter....well....

I just wish now that I would have been more sensitive to that poor old fellow. A simple, "wow, you must be picky! I hear Seattle really knows it's coffee" would have been easy for me to say, and could have been the kind of silly thing that made his day.

Ever felt like a nobody? My personal goal is going to be to make at least one person feel like a SOMEBODY every. single. day.

So, Mr. Seattle, next time, I'll ask for your personal recommendation in the coffee aisle.

10 comments:

redeemed diva said...

You are a somebody! So am I!
I loved this post. Do you mind if I copy and paste it and keep it? Seriously, your post totally summed up this past week for me. Can't anyone see that I'm a somebody?! Anyone? (anyone,anyone, anyone--a little echo effect there)
Thanks for summing it up!
You're an awesome writer with a good taste in coffee beans.

Anonymous said...

We all do want to mean something to someone...you're so right! Thanks for reminding me to help others feel special and that they are a somebody.
This world needs more people like you!

Brambleberry said...

Oh, man! I would be so stoked if you would want to read this again...by all means...copy and paste away!

Glad my thoughts made sense!

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting my blog.

What an awesome post. The world would be a much better place if we all took the same approach as you. Thanks for sharing. I will be dropping by again.

Teresa

Unknown said...

holly sent me over... and I'm so glad she did. I can totally relate to those day / weeks / months / ........... is it going to end soon?

great writing! I really enjoy your blog!

Tam I Am said...

Katie~ seriously now, I remember feeling like NOBODY. Forgive yourself immediately for making a faux pas and do it right next time. Pay it forward each and every day. I loved this post, it smacks of a good heart.

*blessings*

Shaun and Holly said...

Love this post! You need to get it published...seriously! Thanks for challenging me to take the time to make someone each day actually FEEL like they are indeed a SOMEBODY special! ;o)

Anonymous said...

I think that is a great goal!!

nichelle said...

this touched my little important heart!

Tamatha said...

oh man...now when I go shopping today for a couple of items...I will have to keep my eyes open...and not rush in and out of the store...hoping to be undetected!:o)