Thursday, January 15, 2009

a cleansing weekend

My kids will be otherwise occupied this weekend and I plan on attacking the excess clutter in both of their rooms.

I tried to put everything away yesterday to no avail. It's impossible. There is more stuff than place to put it. It's ridiculous. And criminal. A lady's gotta be able to push around a vacuum.

We have this little rule. Maybe it's a little bit unspoken....come to think of it, I don't know that I've given fair warning, which is not fair play....but I'm the mom, so I can do these things....

The rule I have with myself is that if anything is left out and small enough to get sucked up into the vacuum, then sucked up it becomes. We've lost many a Polly Pocket accessory in this manner.

Perhaps, I'll just bring the shop vac up there and go to town.

6 comments:

peeking out villa villekulla said...

You are just like Ben!.. okay.. let me rephrase that... your attitude towards stuff is similar. On any given day I will go to throw something away and see something VERY VALUABLE in the garbage because he had ruled it an unnecessary item. Many a small fight have stemmed from that habit of his. I have problems throwing away broken happy mean toys for goodness sake.

What did Polly ever do to you ya big meanie!! :P

peeking out villa villekulla said...

I can see my subconsciousness spilling in.... mean= meal ;)

Unknown said...

blame it on Granny and Nanna- genetics gentetics!! Nanna used to clean house while we were sleeping , so to this day Uncle Charlie falls asleep to the sound of the vaccum- but to no inevitally when he wakes up the house still needs to be cleaned!! I remember coming to your house in Roseau too and your Mom on the floor "cleaning" your rooms!you were playing in another room so SHE did it while you were there- you had a GREAT teacher!!!!:)"Cleanliness is next to Godliness"!! So- You GO GIRL and SUCK it up!!!!!!

Unknown said...

oops- i meant to say that when Uncle Charlie woke up the house was not "magically" cleaned up like it was when we were kids!! still remember te clean clean feeling- strive for it to this day!! Let me know how it goes- I will be cheering you on!!By the way cousins Meghan and Natalie are the same as you!!Yeah!!

Anonymous said...

I like your rule. Have fun w/ the Shop Vac. ;)

Anonymous said...

started this myself last weekend and it was too daunting a task that i must continue this weekend.

i knew it was necessary when i erupted the other day, saying:

"you get one toy each, and if you manage to put that one away every night, i'll give you a second one".

all right so, i don't always follow through.

hope this is going well for you!

and yes, i suck up polly accessories too. it feels oddly sinister and satisfying.