Monday, July 9, 2007

Refrigerator Art and God's long arm

I know. I'm sorry. A topic combo that nearly feels like sacrilege. But they're two things I wanted to share all at the same time...

I was reading in Numbers today about Moses and the hungry Isrealites. They were complaining about not having meat. They were sick of the manna. They had fish in Egypt. And cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic. Now just manna. Manna! With no garlic. The humanity! The poor people wanted meat! So God promised Moses they would have meat. Not just a little, but so much that it would be coming out their nostrils. That's a lot of meat. Especially since there were six hundred thousand of them. Moses couldn't fathom how God could fulfill that promise..."Would they have enough if all the fish in the sea were caught for them?" He asked the Lord. "The Lord answered Moses, "Is the Lord's arm too short? You will now see whether or not what I say will come true for you."" (Numbers 11: 22-23 NIV)

I was trying to count all the times I couldn't fathom how God could possibly handle certain things in my life, how He would fulfill His promises to me, and how many times I've put Him in a box. As if God can't work outside the box. And! How many times I've complained about the "manna." UGH! Where's the garlic?! It's humiliating to ponder my own ungratefulness. But wonderful beyond wonderful to see in retrospect the ways that God has worked in His own perfect ways all the areas of my life that I've spent needless energy worrying over. Ah! And the hope and peace I have knowing that He doesn't change, and that He will continue to fulfill His promises.

As for my refrigerator art: My budding artist, for the last 5 years has been presenting me with a constant supply of art. This is my current favorite. Two girls. With LONG curly hair. Holding hands. They just speak to me. Can't you just see the twinkle in their eyes? They are surely up to something. I think this one sees some garlic.

3 comments:

Tam I Am said...

I know I'm late posting this, but I love the pink curtains and I especially appreciated that you took the time to show HOW you made them. Those were some great CAD drawings. Did I ever mention I owned and operated my own sewing business for ten years. I did wedding dresses, curtains, clothing and that and more. I still love my sewing machine.

Brambleberry said...

Wedding dresses?! Wow! I'm not sure I'm quite that brave. My Mom is that brave...maybe need to work up the nerve.

Sewing machines are definately wonderful things. :)

Katie said...

Precious picture!