Monday, September 22, 2008

Well, that was disappointing

I was thumbing through an old church cookbook this morning...trying to find some new and fresh ideas to add to my repertoire.

I found this recipe for Granny's Double-Grain Bread. The very last sentence in the directions say that this bread is great toasted for breakfast. I like things that are great toasted for breakfast. I had all the ingredients. I went to work. Mixing. Kneading. Waiting. Punching. Waiting....


...after the second rise, I was to form the dough into two separate balls on a cookie sheet.

Check.

I let them "rise" until doubled...only, they didn't double up. They doubled around. Into blobs. Not wanting to take the time to reform them and let them rise once again, I went ahead and baked them.


(It's okay to laugh.)

They look interesting enough. They taste fine. But, they're not what I was expecting.




I cut them in half and put them in my cake dome. (Which is where I put all baked goodies. It's fun to look at them on my counter. It reminds me that one day a week, I can pull my act together. Accomplishment. Etc.)

I'm trying to find "the lesson" in all this. Something about how things don't always turn out as we think they should....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's a lesson one keeps re-learning. After 55 years, ok - 55 and a HALF years - it seems to be a daily reminder. I am intrigued by their shape, perhaps they could be created into some sort of wonderful sandwich or even a dip holder. :) I have years of experience in taking what was suppose to be and creating something I hope people will THINK it was suppose to be. I still can't get over that all of Grandma's baking skills jumped right over me and landed in my daughters.

Betty said...

Hey not so bad, I like the shapes..maybe large pita breads?? Enjoy and try again! Just don't admit to a mistake...hehe